Reports to the Director of Preconstruction, has primary responsibility for all preconstruction activities on large volume commercial construction projects, including developing preliminary budgets, value engineering, preconstruction schedules, procurement plan, prequalification of subcontractors, detailed take-off and estimating, definition of bid package scopes, the subcontractor/supplier bidding process, evaluation of bids, presentation of detailed estimates of the work, evaluation of alternatives and comparative studies. Is responsible for the protection and promotion of the interest of Armada Hoffler Construction Company in all matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the accuracy of the estimate. Review drawings, specifications and all other construction documents and make Director of Preconstruction, Project Manager and others involved in the project aware of construction related problems, completeness of information, and potential risks involved in General Conditions and Supplementary Conditions.
- Participates in the preparation of construction schedule for estimating purposes.
- Responsible for the preparation of preliminary, schematic, design development, and construction estimates and studies during pre-construction, monitors design development cost trends in order to detect over-runs and potential problem areas. Directs the value engineering process.
- Directs/Assists Architect/Engineer with design responsibilities.
- Maintain current all estimating records, studies, unit prices, etc.
- Supports Project Manager with evaluation of subcontractor proposals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A four-year college degree in engineering, construction management, building construction or similar is preferable.
- Minimum of ten years of estimating experience with a concentration in large commercial construction projects.
- Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions and trade practices.
- Conceptual ability to work with minimum information and quickly develop an understanding of the Owner/Architect requirements.
- Demonstrate imaginative, innovative and succinct approach to a project.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft office suite programs.
- Knowledge of Timberline Estimating, iSQFT, and SureTrak/Primavera scheduling desirable.