Site Safety Manager
Summary: The Site Safety Manager reports to the Corporate Safety Director and will provide Armada Hoffler Construction Company with full-time safety and health services and administration for multiple construction projects in and around This position will be responsible for carrying out all four safety and health functions as defined by the document “Scope and Functions of the Professional Safety Position”, published by the American Society of Safety Engineers. These functions are as follows:
- The identification and documentation of hazardous conditions, procedures, and practices;
- The development and/or selection of appropriate measures and procedures to eliminate, control or reduce exposure to these hazards;
- The communication of safety and loss prevention information to all levels within the organization (project);
- Monitoring and auditing the effectiveness of the safety/loss prevention measures selected.
- Control hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee activities through safety management and contacting supervisory personnel in accordance with the applicable provisions of OSHA, both Federal and State, and the Armada/Hoffler Project Safety Manual.
- Monitor the arrival of new subcontractors in order to make sure all company and project specific subcontractor safety requirements are met prior to starting work on the project and to conduct site specific orientation training for all personnel on site.
- Monitor the preparation and submission of Job Hazard Analyses (JHA’s) by subcontractors. Ensure these JHA’s are carried out in the field.
- Review and make recommendations on the completeness and adequacy of subcontractor-submitted site-specific safety plans.
- Ensure that safety is discussed at all weekly subcontractor coordination meetings, and project a leadership stance toward safety.
- Conduct special safety meetings as necessary, to address specific safety issues.
- Coordinate the preparation of accident/injury reports. Insure the submission of these reports to the appropriate insurance carrier.
- Supervise and administer safety/first aid and rescue squad activities including work assignments, personnel administration, staffing, training, etc.
- Assist the Armada/Hoffler corporate program by developing employee and craft safety orientation training program and implement upon completion
- Provide control and availability of safety and personal protective equipment for Armada/Hoffler personnel.
- Document all accidents, safety violations, unsafe conditions/activities. Issue confined area entry and “hot work” permits as required.
- Review documentation to ensure all required records and reports are complete, accurate and submitted per established procedures and implement appropriate corrective action as required.
- Accompany OSHA Safety and Health Compliance Officers and insurance inspectors on walk through tours. Coordinate/assist in preparing written appeals for safety violation citations.
- Identify needs, develop, deliver, and evaluate the effectiveness of safety related training for AH and subcontractor employees
- Maintain MSDS/Hazmat files
- Maintain and post the OSHA 300 form as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety or related field; however, combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- 2-5+ years of full-time construction and/or industrial safety experience.
- CSP, ASP, CHST or other Safety related designation preferred.
- First Aid AED/CPR certification a plus.
- OSHA 30 certificate required.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a dead-line driven environment.
- Ability to communicate and influence supervisors, peers and external partners.
- Experience in training crane, fall protection, excavation scaffolds, and heavy equipment safety.
- Knowledge of basic Spanish communications skills is desirable, but not required. Candidate must be willing to acquire these skills.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume indicating project listings and references to firstname.lastname@example.org